Monday, August 11, 2014

Blog Roll - My Writing Process

I was invited by Stacey Marie Brown and Bethany Lopez to participate in a Blog Roll answering questions about my writing/process. Check out Bethany and Stacey's answers by clicking on their names.

1) What am I working on right now?

I just finished the first draft of Hunting Season, AuroraSky: Vampire Hunter, Vol. 4… meaning I’m EDITING! I also have some backstory to fill on Francesco “Fane” Donado (ie: Research!) I gathered up a stack of books at the library on Venice, Italy. In particular, I’m interested in The Plague around the 17th & 18th century.
 

2) How does my work differ from others in the genre?

The moment you tell someone you wrote a vampire book, you get the look or the tone, “Oh, another vampire book.” (Real original.) I constantly challenge myself to put a new twist on whatever subject I write about so no, it’s not just another vampire or witch book.

For Aurora Sky, I found inspiration in “Vampire Forensics” by Mark Collins Jenkins. The idea started with vampirism being a disease. I wanted it to be more sci-fi than fantasy, something that at least sounded remotely possible.

For the Spellbound Trilogy magic is more mind over matter than woo-woo spells and chanting. And it backfires… a lot, which is so much fun.

 
3) Why do I write what I do?

I read and write to escape the real world. For me, that means spending time in fantasy worlds where there’s magic and supernatural creatures or kickass female spies who save the day. I love shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, Charlie’s Angels and Alias. I write what I love.
 
 

4) How does my writing process work?

Before I begin each new book, I handwrite notes and a rough outline in a journal. I’d probably be better off researching ahead of time, but I’m too impatient so I research along the way—for example, 2/3rds of Spellbound #3 (Enchantment) took place in Barcelona. I’ve never been there so I had to do a lot of reading up and looking through online photos. In Northern Bites, Aurora Sky, Vol. 2, Aurora went on a mission in Sitka, another place I’ve never been. I like to read a mix of history, travel and fiction books set in those areas to get a feel for them.
 
 
Mornings are my best time to write and are most productive if I can have five solid interrupted hours, which are hard to come by.

 ***

That’s a little peek into my process. Check out the author I tagged, Danielle Young, next Monday for an inside look into her writing process. Last month, Young published her first book, Guided (The Jade Ring Series Book 1).

1 comment:

  1. Great blog review! I enjoy learn about how you go about writing. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete