Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Aurora Sky Cover Model Interview


 
It is my great pleasure to introduce you to a truly remarkable young woman. She is the face of Aurora Sky and a beautiful person inside and out. Please welcome Gabriella!

Aurora is an only child – what about you? Siblings? Youngest? Oldest?
I am second in line out of five children, I have two sisters (one older, one younger) and three little brothers. I love them all to death, but I'll be honest, sometimes they drive me so crazy that I envy Aurora for not having any!

Do you like to read? What kinds of books? Ebooks or paperback?

I love to! I don't think there is anything I am more passionate about, my whole bedroom looks like a library exploded inside.
I generally don't pigeonhole myself into one genre since my interests are very diverse, but I've been reading a lot of fantasy novels and older science fiction novels lately.
As far as my position on Ebooks vs paperback, I don't think I'll ever be able to hop on the e-reader bandwagon. I own a first edition Nook that I received as a gift, but I have a major soft spot for curling up with a worn out, much loved favorite and a cup of tea.

What’s modeling like? Do you ever feel like you’re playing a character?
It's definitely hard work. Some days you're shooting in 40 degree weather in clothes better suited for a hot summer day, others you're at a shoot for eight hours straight in impractical wardrobe and uncomfortable poses with frequent re-touching and few breaks. There's also a LOT of waiting involved (that's where a good book comes in handy!)

Despite the not so glamorous bits though, it's really a lot of fun. I've met many wonderful people and been fortunate enough to experience things I wouldn't have had I not become a model. 

Some days I do feel like I am playing a character, I've always firmly believed that models are actresses without lines and it's our job to make the viewer believe they know what kind of person we are and what experiences we are having just by seeing a photograph. 

We create this fantasy world for people, and it's definitely not anything like my real life.



What do you love about the (modeling) profession? Not love?

I love that every time I walk on set I get to forget about all of the stresses in my everyday life and just let go. When I'm in front of the camera it stops being about what paper I need on my boss's desk by Friday, whether or not my best friend and I are still fighting, and if I remembered to pick up milk on the way home last night. Modeling allows me to take a break from being myself for a little while and become a canvas for my client as well as getting to play pretend as some really sweet characters (like Aurora!)
There are drawbacks though, it's a give and take for sure. One of my biggest pet peeves about the industry is the idea that models are these living, breathing, images of perfection; it gives us waaaay too high a standard to live up to without Photoshop and it often results in self-consciousness about how we look without a stylist working on us for 4 hours. I will be the first one to admit that I have bad breakouts from time to time, horrible hair days, and huge bags under my eyes when I've been piggybacking work and photo shoots all week.
I hang out in McDonald's in my sweatpants, glasses, and no makeup on a regular basis, and people who have seen my photos are always shocked at the difference. We're not perfect I promise!

Describe your feelings on love.
It's a beautiful thing, but it can also be equally painful.
Loving someone is a selfless act.
Loving someone means forgetting your own self-serving behaviors and caring for another human being unconditionally, romantic or otherwise. It's terrifying when you think about it though, giving someone a piece of you that is so easily shattered, and trusting them that they won't.
I've been through a lot in the past few years after a broken engagement, and a painful recent relationship, so I don't think that I'm ready for a romantic kind of love any time soon, but the love I receive from my friends and my son is a feeling without equal and I can't imagine life without it.

What characteristics would the perfect man possess?
Secretly being Ryan Gosling?
Okay, okay, you can have a real answer. I don't think I have a set of requirements for perfection in a man, other than being imperfect.
Imperfections are beautiful, and I can't stand people who pretend not to have them. Embrace your quirks and individuality, they're what make you who you are!
As long as you respect me, are honest with me, and can tolerate my crazy (and often impractical) artistic endeavours, then we're cool. Of course if you happen to play an instrument, possess a strong love of thrift stores and antiquing, and are willing to drink tea, read books, and watch old British movies in the rain with me, you'll probably get first pick.
 

If you were a superhero and could choose one special ability or power, what would it be and why?

Hmmmm...that's a tough one! I think if I ever had the opportunity to choose, I would probably want the ability to time travel.
I think there is so much to be learned from the past, and so much I would have loved to experience throughout history (primarily much of the art and musical culture from the 40's through the 80's, as well as the women's rights movement).
On the same token though, I'm glad I'll never have the chance. It'd be too tempting to re-write past mistakes and I feel like those are the most crucial parts of what make up who we are.

Tattoos are really popular in fiction right now. Do you have any and what do they mean to you?

I have a Celtic love knot on my right bicep, I had it done shortly after my son came home from his two month stay in the NICU. It's a very personal piece for me and I actually intend to add onto it once I am done with modeling. It symbolizes both the love I have for him as well as the love that brought him into this world and will eventually become the starting point of a sleeve of tree bark and flowers dedicated to my roots, family, and heritage.

What do you feel are the biggest challenges facing your generation today?

Oh boy, there are so many. I think a big one is definitely the need for instant gratification that so much of our generation has.
We have been taught that everything is disposable, and in such that everything is easily replaced. As I have grown, I've watched many of my peers fall into the same pattern of prioritizing only the things that will make them happy in the now.
I feel that we've become so privileged in many ways that we undervalue what it means to work for something and truly earn it. The most unfortunate part is that it translates into our interactions with people as well, and we become disconnected in a sense. When you can have everything you want whenever you want it, why would you bother to respect it and keep it around?
 
Aurora Sky embodies the saying that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What keeps you strong?

Hope for something better.
I have a lot of people in my life lately that love to tell me that I can't do something, or that my attempts will end in failures. As strange as it seems to some, rejection and discouragement have always seemed to propel me further towards success than anything else.
I'm a stubborn, hotheaded Irish girl. If you tell me I can't, I'm going to push back ten times harder to prove to you that I can.
 
One of my favorite quotes "Without struggle there is no progress" rings true here. You're going to get knocked down, and you're going to get knocked down a lot, but if you're going to make it through this life you need to be able to take each misfortune as an opportunity for something better.
***

If you are a book blogger who would like to participate in the Cover Reveal of BAD BLOOD (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, Vol. 3) featuring Gabriella, you can sign-up at Xpresso Book Tours or check back here on January 9th to see the cover in all its glory.
Giveaway!
 

Note: Swag packs will ship on or around January 9th following the Bad Blood cover reveal.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Paperbacks now available at Amazon.
Aurora Sky, Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, Vol. 1

Northern Bites, Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, Vol. 2

20 comments:

  1. Many people act like modeling isn't a real job. I'm glad that you've exposed that as false and that you also love your job Gabriella. You helped bring the covers to life and I'm glad Nikki had you here. Wish you all the best and many more gig. I'm O positive and like you my blood doesn't paralyze vampires either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Sheena-kay! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. My dad is also Type O Negative, and he's always have people asking him to donate blood, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the coolest interview I've read in a long time! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking it out, Kayla! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Sometimes we just pretend something must be perfect, it keeps the alluring magic of it alive, but you're right, nothing is. And I agree that only hope can make you stronger than defeat.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imperfection is beautiful. :D Love it. Thanks for sharing, Gabriella! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some beautiful quotes. Loved reading this interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview!!! Great series! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I'm happy you enjoy both!

      Delete
  8. It was so great to get to know more about you! I really love how you not only fit the physical aspects of Aurora but you have many personality similarities as well! I adore this series and it really means a lot as a fan that Nikki was able to find someone who really pulls it together on the cover! I also appreciate your honesty about your career and an outsiders misconceptions. I can now understand that models also have a difficult time with self confidence and body image. That is such a great thing to get out in the open so young girls will know and understand. Thank you Nikki for such a great interview and of course a terrific and unique series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley, for sharing your thoughts. I am so fortunate to work with great talents like Gabriella and have amazing readers like you! xoxo

      Delete
  9. I think it is cool that she is 0 Neg blood type! I'm also O Neg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome interview. I love that even though Gabriella has a child at a young age she doesn't let it deter her from her dreams. It's a real inspiration to the young parents out there. I wish I had someone as determined to look up to when I had my son. :D Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents are superheroes! The ability to juggle such demanding responsibilities and still have a life of your own impresses me to no end.

      Thanks, Katrina!

      Delete
  11. Wow! It is so hard to believe you are just going to be 20 Gabriella you are so wise beyond your years! I wish more people your age had those insights. Heck I wish people my age had those insights. And I love what Gabriella says about love! Absolutely perfect!

    Great interview Nikki, and you did a great job pulling out those perfect moments in the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Danielle! I was like, how can this young woman be so wise at 19? Also wish more people of all ages had those insights.

      Hugs & kisses!

      Delete
  12. Gabriella, I loved your interview answers. I have a 19 year old step-daughter who is one of those people you mentioned who believe anyone and anything are disposable. She left a lot of pain behind in my house, and now is living with the adoptive parents she claimed to hate as she's burned so many bridges behind her. She's also pregnant and has broken up with the father of her child. I pray that one day she will mature and that it happens before she puts her baby through a lot of heartache also. You have given me hope for her tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra. It's unfortunate that so many of today's youth can't see beyond their own needs - and extremely frustrating. After I saw the way Gabriella answered her interview questions I experienced a renewed faith in youth and people in general. She's an inspiration to me and I'm pleased to hear she made you feel the same way.

      The teenage years are tough and I hope your step-daughter can leave it eventually behind and realize her full potential.

      Delete