Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Secret Circle Review (WWRC, 1)



Sign up for the 2013 Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge at Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf.

The Secret Circle by L. J. Smith 

First of all, oh my god!, the dog is named Raj in this book. When I saw that in the first chapter I started laughing.

This was fairly fast and entertaining, which I like. I simply wasn't overly fond of the main character, Cassie or the insta-love between her and Adam. There were several instances in which Cassie showed potential strength only to revert back into a pansy ass pushover. I like characters with a little more spine.

I bought this at full price in paperback from Barnes & Noble and was surprised that the HarperTeen editors missed three sections where the book slipped from third to first person and went on for paragraphs this way before switching back just as suddenly. She, she, she. I! Say what?

Overall I was entertained, but don't feel compelled to continue on with the series. This book actually contains the first part of book two (The Captive Part I). I know cliff hangers can be frustrating, but half a book? Really?

If you've ever wanted to check out Secret Circle, it's now only 99 cents on Amazon Kindle. The reason I bought it in paperback back in September is the e-book was listed for the exact same price of $8.99. Damn! Happens to me all the freakin' time.


6 comments:

  1. First of all...THAT PHOTO TOTALLY FREAKS ME OUT! LOL

    Second...I've been wondering about this series knowing how popular it is and am surprised to hear that there were some pretty obvious no-no's at least for me...switching back and forth between 1st and 3rd person would completely annoy me...it's those things that bother me even more than some of my other pet peeves...inta-love being one of them!

    But hey...guess there was a Raj in the book so it can't be all bad:)

    PS. Just in case you don't know...you have Captcha enabled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I look like such crap, but it was too fun to resist.

      I liked Hex Hall so much better than this series. I should finish the rest of those.

      Look how you've inspired me to read more witchy books!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know about Captcha. I wasn't aware, but I'm going to leave it so I don't get spam comments which was a dang nuisance with a previous blog of mine.

      Delete
  2. Ahaha! I love what you did with the book there! Clever! ;) Awesome review Nikki! I haven't actually read this series...heard too many negative things about it so I decided to pass.

    P.S. LOVE your rating pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lili. I grabbed the witches hat & broom from a free clip art site. I need to make a 1, 2, 4, and 5 still. I was thinking of putting all 5 in a post and anyone who wanted them could copy all 5 to keep and use. I know there are a lot of starving artists and students out there who can't afford custom design work and rating systems.

      Delete
  3. I love that photo! That is really uncanny! I haven't read that series yet, and now I don't think I will!! Nice quick review!

    ReplyDelete