Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Help Me Choose a Cover

I’ve hired the talented (and wonderful to work with) Najla Qamber to design the cover of my YA Paranormal Romance ENTANGLED. (Book One of Three.) This is a dark comedy with magical elements.

I’m attached to both covers. The most important question I have to ask myself is: Which one would sell more copies?

I also want a good representation of the book: YA Paranormal, Dark, Death, Magic


Each cover conveys parts of these elements. Cover One (Tombstone), my personal favorite, has the overcast sky, which is always the case in the book, the main character even goes by the name “Gray.” 


Cover Two (the one my husband calls the Lady Gaga Cover) looks magical. Even the white rose is appropriate as she dies around Valentine’s Day and white represents death.

My initial reaction was that Lady Gaga would Grab Attention – way more than Tombstone. But does grabbing attention necessarily equate to sales? I’ve seen plenty of catchy book covers, admired them then moved on.

I think Tombstone is more intriguing, but again, the real question is: Which cover would motivate online browsers to read the blurb and potentially purchase?

One quick share I just received from an author friend I consulted with: “There are a couple of design elements that mark One as a quick web photocomposite instead of a real book cover. Turnoff for me, but maybe that's fine for Ebooks, I don't know since I've seen very few of them. As a concept, I like One's storytelling. Two is more eye catching, though.”


A Resurrection Spell Gone Wrong

Two months after dying, Graylee Perez wakes up in her identical twin sister, Charlene’s body.

As the daughter of a witch, can anyone blame her mother for attempting to bring her back to life? Only now Gray’s stuck sharing her sister’s body 50/50 in 24 hour shifts.

The race is on for Gray to find a way back into her body before Charlene purges her from existence.

Warlock Raj McKenna is rumored to meddle in the black arts, not to mention he’s after Gray’s invisibility spell and worse – her heart. But Raj might be the only one powerful enough to save Gray from fading away forever. 

10 comments:

  1. I will be honest, I *TOTALLY* judge a book by its cover. The cover is what gets me to pick up a book in the first place. Both covers are lovely, but i totally LOVED the Lady Gaga one. No doubt in my mind it will attract more people.
    I LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki I have to say I love them both but Lady Gaga one wins my vote. I love an eye-catching cover and for me, that's it!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady Gaga, hands down! I think it is a beautiful cover, much more professional looking than the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "Tobmstone" one! I think that it speaks more to me. I love how the book is "Gray" - nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the first one, not the Lady Gaga.

    If you pick the Lady Gaga one, though, I'd see if she could fill the screen, rather than having all the extra color around her.

    (Not sure that makes sense...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first glance the Lady Gaga catches your eye, but number one is more haunting. First one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo! Book cover selecting. I looooooooove book covers. And I love the GaGa cover best. lol

    Naj is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Cover number two! I think the girl standing in a dress pose is a bit overdone at the moment ( not that its not gorgeous !!! ) But I like that #2 is switching it up a bit. it really intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tombstone one. It caught my eyes more. Can't you see it on a bookstore shelf? :) Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NUMBER ONE!! Seriously, it fits the storyline perfectly and is really pretty. I think the 'Lady Gaga' one is overdone and does not match any aspect of the story at all. Whenever I read a book, and loved it, I usually spend time looking at the cover after I'm done reading, trying to 'relive' the scenes/atmosphere that's been set, and I think it'd be a real pity if the first one doesn't get chosen! I think you should go with what your instinct tells you, and do justice to the book overall (: no offense to the person who designed everything though! Both are really nice covers, but I still believe the first one is the best choice, and would definitely make me want to read it as the cover fits the storyline!

    ReplyDelete