Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Snow of the Season

Woke up to snow Saturday morning in Friday Harbor then set off for a walk through a winter wonderland on Orcas Island on our favorite trail with our favorite Aussie mate after lunch at our favorite cafĂ©. A good day, indeed…

Except for an hour + delay in the ferry that night. I stood outside making mental notes about the way the cold seeped down to my bones. By the time we made it home I was thoroughly chilled.

Much more snow on Sunday. There’s always something so magical about it. And speaking of magical: I read Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor this weekend. Amazon needs an honorary 10 star option for books like these. Loved it with the fire of a thousand suns!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation - apparently it's pretty popular as I'm number 75 in the hold queue for it at the library :) I'm a bit jealous of your winter snow! We've barely had any cold days so far and I have to keep reminding myself that it's January and not June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shelley. #75 come on down! Now I feel lucky that I only had to wait behind ONE person at my library.

    This mild winter has thrown off my sense of season. I like seeing the snow a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hey, welcome to the Puget Sound! Didn't know you were coming by. Of course, you picked the worst weather week in 2 years. We're supposed to get up to 18" of snow tonight. That's like 10 years of snow, all at once! Stay warm and dry, but have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take 18 inches of snow over 18 feet, Nancy! That's what they got back North in Cordova. There's a reason I left Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow looks beautiful. We used to live in Portland and so I've spent some time in the Orcas Islands. I love it there!

    Someone gave me The Daughter of Smoke and Bone for Christmas. Maybe I'll read that next.

    ReplyDelete