Thursday, January 12, 2012

Editors vs. Free styling

YAY

When I finish a novel what I leave behind is a landmine of errors. Even one mistake feels akin to walking around, big grin on my face, with lipstick on my teeth. Angela Scott compares it to broccoli in your teeth in her wonderful post, Editors are a Necessity, NOT a Choice.


NAY

I also love Dean Wesley Smith’s humorous post about The New World of Publishing and his definition of writer vs. author. Where I agree with him is that a writer shouldn’t get hung up on promotion (they ought to Keep Writing the next novel and the next), though I’m not quite with him on skipping the external feedback and editors. I believe, at the very least, a manuscript should be error free (notwithstanding the occasional slip-up that inevitably happens). 

3 comments:

  1. Lipstick on teeth. Urgh. That happened to me when the captain of the football team was asking me out to Homecoming back in '93. Ever since I've always run my tongue over my teeth when lipstick wearing. Not in a provocative way! Gross. lol

    Anyway, I agree with DWS's methods too. I don't think he means we shouldn't edit either, afterall he does say to have readers. Which are basically editors, but they only check for typos too. #Win ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or toilet paper trailing from the shoe. Ugg!

    Thanks, Suz, I found DWS's post via you on Twitter and it has been inspirational in terms of stopping me from going full on neurotic about the book I'm about to release and concentrate on doing what I do - write more novels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must comment on Smith's post. I DO feel that editors are necessary, that what we "think" of as good writing and needed segments are too often bad writing and over-extended ideas, that there are all types of writers and if someone wants to write a novel in three weeks and someone else in three years, all the best to both of them.

    However, I doubt I'd shell out money for the three-week novel and would save my debit card swipe for a book by established and new writers who take the time to formulate careful stories while respecting themselves and their work enough to struggle through the editing process and do it right (do it write, hee, hee).

    Editors don't have to be expensive; there are a lot of unemployed journalists and MFA graduates who will happily give a book a good look-over before publishing.
    If something means a lot to you, you put in the time.

    ReplyDelete