I made an executive decision to add flavor by reformulating this site as a food and fiction blog: Salt ‘n’ Paper. It combines my love of cooking and writing; eating and reading. (Notice I take equal pleasure in active prep time and enjoying the results of said labors.)
Out of a buffet of ideas, it came to me to begin with my favorite of the food groups: Bread.
Chef’s Note: My food photography skills “knead” smoothing out. Two of these shots are taken from the pages of The Joy of Vegan Baking.
1. Potato Bread with Chives, Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson p. 471
2. Banana-Split Tea Bread, (chocolate, cherries, pineapple and peanuts – who needs whipped cream?) Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson p. 473
3. Classic Focaccia with Rosemary, Olive Oil, and Coarse Salt, The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein p. 191
4. Maple-Almond French Toast, The 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray p. 71 (Not really a bread recipe, but one of my favorite ways to enjoy bread in the morning.)
5. Mediterranean Olive Bread, The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau p. 58 (With a name like “Joy of Baking” you know there’s going to be a lot – see below.)
7. Soft Pretzels, Joy of by CPG p. 174
8. Cinnamon Rolls, Joy of by CPG p. 175
9. Monkey Bread, Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau p. 203
10. Home-Style Potato Rolls, Veganomicon by p.218
11. Baking Powder Biscuits, Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz p. 26
12. Butternut Squash Rolls, The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash (Out of print. I veganized these borrowing a book from Ecology Action’s library during my 3 months internship in Willits, Calif.)