Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Baker’s Dozen: My Favorite Bread Recipes

I made an executive decision to add flavor by reformulating this site as a food and fiction blog: Salt ‘n’ Paper. It combines my love of cooking and writing; eating and reading. (Notice I take equal pleasure in active prep time and enjoying the results of said labors.)

Out of a buffet of ideas, it came to me to begin with my favorite of the food groups: Bread. 

Chef’s Note: My food photography skills “knead” smoothing out. Two of these shots are taken from the pages of The Joy of Vegan Baking.

1.  Potato Bread with Chives, Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson p. 471

2.  Banana-Split Tea Bread, (chocolate, cherries, pineapple and peanuts – who needs whipped cream?) Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson p. 473

3.  Classic Focaccia with Rosemary, Olive Oil, and Coarse Salt, The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein p. 191

4.  Maple-Almond French Toast, The 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray p. 71 (Not really a bread recipe, but one of my favorite ways to enjoy bread in the morning.)

5.  Mediterranean Olive Bread, The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau p. 58 (With a name like “Joy of Baking” you know there’s going to be a lot – see below.)

6.  Naan, Joy of by CPG p. 168

7.  Soft Pretzels, Joy of by CPG p. 174

8.  Cinnamon Rolls, Joy of by CPG p. 175

9.  Monkey Bread, Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau p. 203

10.  Home-Style Potato Rolls, Veganomicon by p.218

11.  Baking Powder Biscuits, Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz p. 26


12.  Butternut Squash Rolls, The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash (Out of print. I veganized these borrowing a book from Ecology Action’s library during my 3 months internship in Willits, Calif.) 



Pictured (From top to bottom): Cinnamon Rolls, Mediterranean Olive Bread, Banana-Split Tea Bread (made and enjoyed this morning).

2 comments:

  1. Yum. Bread is also one of my favorite things to bake! I realized recently just how much flour I go through and decided I needed to scale back a bit! I'd love to try that recipe for butternut squash rolls. I'll eat pumpkin anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I know you'd be the one to respond to this post, Shelley?

    I still think about ordering that "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" cookbook you blogged about.

    http://www.rebelhomemaker.com/2011/07/homemade-bagels.html

    ReplyDelete