Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Writer’s Habitat

While I am no newbie to blogging, this is my first blog dedicated to fiction genre writing, promotion and connecting with other authors and readers.


I would like to start, not with words, but a photo essay of my current writing habitat. It was most likely a combination of the secluded forest surroundings, Pacific Northwest weather, part-time work schedule and not knowing anyone on this island since moving six months ago that lent itself to some of my most productive writing days (two complete novels in three months).

Now I’m taking time out to edit, enjoy the sun (at last!), spend time with friends and re-evaluate the road to publication. Online self-publishing is looking more and more like the most viable approach.

Check out our funky rental situated on three acres in Friday Harbor, WA.

Can't see a single neighbor from any window - my idea of paradise.
Jungle cat montage in the entry. The previous owner was a tile maker. 

A patch of bamboo in front of a defunct lap pool. For an extra $100 a month we could have had the pool reinstated with a greenhouse covering. We opted to save the money in rent and heating despite the temptation to have our very own lap pool right outside our bedroom sliding glass door. 
3 in a tree.

Beware Chair. Covered in moss below a circle of chains hanging from a tree towards the back of the property. Kinda creepy.


 "Wildlife" abounds on our lot.
 And there's a dog grave.

This funky shoe reminds me of the Wizard of Oz. On that note, I just learned that Dorothy’s slippers were actually silver, not ruby, in L. Frank Baum’s original story. I suppose red was more cinematic. My character, Aurora Sky, wears a red scarf to cover bite marks after she’s turned into a vampire assassin. She’s ironic that way.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your place looks amazing! So glad you're blogging again and I'm looking forward to reading your books as soon as they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelley. And thank you for posting the site's first comment. This will also keep me in better touch with friends’ blogs. I've been slacking and feeling disconnected. With summer ending it seemed like the right time to jump back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Nikki, awesome you're starting a new blog, and nice place. I can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing photos of your place and your writing habitat. Love those moss-covered shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete